The Ontario Maple Syrup Producers Association is pleased to provide a delicious series of recipes using pure Ontario Maple Syrup.
These are just a sampling of the recipes found in the top selling Simply Maple cookbook available from the OMSPA. Contact us to purchase a copy.
Main & Side Dishes
- Maple Corn Bread
- 1 1/3 cups (325 ml) sifted all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp (20 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) cornmeal
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) milk
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) maple syrup
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) walnuts, coarsely chopped
Heat oven to 375°F. Grease 9 inch square cake pan. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Stir in cornmeal with fork. Combine milk, 1/3 cup (75 ml) maple syrup, butter, and eggs; add to dry ingredients. Stir in just until blended. Spoon into pan and smooth. Drizzle remaining 1/4 cup (50 ml) maple syrup over batter. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Maple Chicken
- 2 lb (1 kg) chicken pieces
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) sherry
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) soya sauce
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) paprika
Coat chicken pieces well with flour. In large nonstick fry pan, add vegetable oil. Cook for 5 minutes, browning well, turn often. Arrange in 9" x 12" baking dish. In small bowl, mix together maple syrup, vinegar, sherry, soya sauce, ginger, garlic, pepper and paprika. Pour over chicken evenly. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour, turning once during baking. Cover with foil, if browning too quickly. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
- Cabbage-Apple Casserole
The presentation and flavour are both impressive in this dish!
- 1 chopped apple
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup 50 ml water
- 1/3 cup 75 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup 50 ml Maple Stirred Sugar
- add fresh ginger about the size of a quarter (or a dash of ground ginger)
- 4 cups 1000 ml shredded red cabbage ( 1 medium)
- salt and pepper to taste
Sauté onion and apple in a little oil in a Dutch oven or frying pan until tender. Add all remaining ingredients. Cover and cook until tender, about 1 hour. Serve hot or cold
- Squash Delight
A delicious variation, especially nice for people who thought they didn't care for squash!
- 2 lb 4.4 kg squash a favorite is Hubbard or Buttercup (your choice) cooked and mashed
- 2 Tbsp 15 ml Maple Syrup
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup 250 ml shredded carrot
- 1 cup 250 ml sour cream
- 284 ml can cream of chicken soup
- 8 oz 250 g package prepared stuffing mix
Prepare squash. In small mixing bowl, combine onion, carrot, sour cream, Maple Syrup and soup. Fold into squash. Prepare stuffing as directed and spread half in bottom of 12" X 7" X 2' baking. Spoon squash mixture on top. sprinkle with remaining stuffing. Bake at 350. F for 30 minutes. Serves 6.
Back to Recipes Page